Introversion is an often misunderstood term as it is presumed to refer to shyness. The term introversion doesn’t go by one-size-fits-all definition as it has four different types or shades. The four types of introverts can be described by exploring the traits namely social, thinking, and anxious and restrained (Dahl, 2015).
- Social introverts- It is not true that social introverts dislike socialization. They like to socialize in small groups with people whom they feel comfortable and compatible. They like small gatherings such as hanging out with close friends or even family circle. They are not shy or reserved folks (Dahl, 2015).
- Thinking introverts- These are people who remain introverts in their thinking process. They are more thoughtful and self-reflective. For instance, they can get lost in their own dream world drowned in their imagination and creativity (Dahl, 2015).
- Anxious introverts- These are the folks who prefer to be alone as they feel uncomfortable or unsuitable in a social gathering or a group as they are not confident about their social skills. Since they feel anxious being in a social set up, they tend to choose solitude. Even in their solitude, their anxiety is not reduced. They tend to minimize their anxiety by ruminating on things that could have gone wrong had they been in a particular social context (Dahl, 2015).
- Restrained introverts- They are people who take time in everything whether socializing or springing up in action. They may seem slow as they are careful before they speak or act. They are more passive in nature than the active types (Dahl, 2015).
You would have come across an introvert in your life. You would have identified him or her as an introvert by identifying a trait that fits into any of the above types. So how would you know whether an introvert likes you or not?
10 signs can tell you whether an introvert likes You
1. Making the First Move
Generally, introverts are not the ones who would make the first move in a social context. But if you find an introvert is making the first move to talk to you or making a gesture to grab your attention, you can bet she (or he) likes you.
2. Opening Up: Introverts are not easy to crack.
It takes time for them to come out of their shell and open up about themselves. However, if an introvert is opening up about herself to you, you can know that you are someone whom she likes to connect.
As introverts are good observers they are not quick in making friends or including people into their social circle. They take the time to know people and choose them as friends. If you find an introvert building a good rapport with you, it means she likes you.
4. Inviting into Personal Space:
Introverts like spending a time in solitude to reflect on themselves, their thoughts and emotions. If you are invited into an introvert’s personal space where she asks you to spend time with her then she no doubt likes your company.
5. Personal Talk:
You wouldn’t find an introvert engage in personal talks. Most of their conversations are generic. However, if you find an introvert talking about her likes and dislikes, interests, hobbies, ideologies, and goals, then she likes you to the extent where she feels comfortable to talk about her personal stuff unlike of characteristic.
6. High Values: Introverts place high values on relationships.
People whom they consider as friends/significant others they show a lot of care, concern and empathy through their communications and behaviors. If an introvert is paying an extra attention to you, then you are someone in her close circle of friends.
7. Going the Extra Mile:
Introverts are very warm and helping people. If you find an introvert trying to do things for you without you asking for help, you are someone she really is likes.
8. Constant Communication:
Even introverts distinguish between close and casual friends. If you are someone who is a part of her daily life then you are someone special.
9. Revealing Secrets: Everyone has a secret segment in life.
Introverts are very careful to whom they reveal their secrets. It can be something like allowing you to read her diary or share an important aspect of her past. If an introvert is allowing you to know her secret part of life, you are really the one whom she trusts and likes.
10. Giving Feedback:
Introverts don’t take their right to advise others or give others an honest feedback as they keep most of their opinions to themselves. But if you find an introvert who gives you an honest feedback or a straight advice, she is concerned about you and your wellbeing.
Dahl, M. (2015). So Apparently There are 4 Kinds of Introversion. New York Magazine. Retrieved from: http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/06/apparently-there-are-four-kinds-of-introversion.html