Psychology is a science, and many people are under the impression that science is boring. Therefore, by definition, psychology must also be boring. This logic is, to a certain extent, grounded in a truth about the scientific community. The language is dense, the numbers are confusing, and infuriatingly, the results are often inconclusive. So why bother with it? Why bother with psychology?
It can change your life and the world around you. Here’s how:
1) We live in a world defined by our differences, separated by borders, walls, skin color, and more. Psychology reveals many truths that connect us beyond those boundaries
2) Psychology can offer insight into the age old question of what parts of us are nature, and what parts of us are nurture
3) The more psychology progresses as a science, the more we know about mental health, and how to treat those with illnesses
4) Do you ever wonder what pushes you in life to do what you do? Psychology can help us understand ourselves, our goals, and our dreams
5) Listening is an art that many people have not mastered. Psychology can teach us how to communicate better.
6) Furthermore, psychology can be a gateway to universal empathy. When we understand that the actions of people from other places are not wrong, but a result of differing understandings of the world, beautiful things can emerge.
7) On a more personal note, psychology can aid us in our understanding of child rearing
8) It can also help us understand complicated interactions within the family
9) Economically, psychology can function to streamline businesses, improve productivity, and produce better ways to organize people.
10) It can help produce better academic spaces and systems for students
11) It can help us explain emotions that are otherwise impossible to understand. Love, hate, anger, passion and fear – all these things have a basis in the mind.
12) Psychology can help us understand the intentions of those around us, and how to protect ourselves from thoughts and interactions that may not be detrimental to our health
13) Being aware of our capabilities is important for growth. An awareness of our limits is also necessary. Psychology can give us insight into both.
14) Finally, reading about psychology can help us personally overcome grief and trauma. It can help us feel whole again